Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 20: Northern Slovenia

Polja had prepared a route to take me for a little spin around the northern part of Slovenia. Her mom made some great turkish-style coffee in the morning and I even got some lunch with me so there wasn't much more than jumping on the bike.

The climbing started from Lake Jasna.
Stop #1: Lake Jasna

The serpentine roads were not as awesome as in previous countries, mainly because they had used cobblestone instead of asphalt in the corners so you had to slow down really much.

Stop #2: highest point

Stop #3: Gorgeous cyan water!
A bit after I got down from the highest point of the trip it (naturally) started to rain. I could manage to drive till Kobarid where I had coffee and since the rain didn't want to stop, I also decided to visit the Kobarid Museum which was basically about the WW1. The exhibition turned out very interesting. For many WW1 is linked the western front and at least for me it was unclear how big battles were fought between Italy and Austria-Hungary/Germany.

Important reading ;)

Good ol' Maxim

Scarecrow!

The rain stopped for a moment and I decided to continue my trip again. I did manage to drive around 10 km after it started raining again. I managed to continue till Tolmin where I stopped to hold the rain.

Somewhere in Tolmin (presumably)
After the rain had stopped again, I continued my trip again. This time the road was in quite good shape and it made nice curves around the river. Too bad the road was wet and very slippery (I think much more slippery than e.g. in Italy) so I didn't drive that fast even though the road was kind of asking for it.

Finally I arrived in Dolenji Novaki where I wanted to see the Franja Partisan Hospital which was a hidden hospital used to treat partisans during WW2. Too bad the rain delayed me enough so the place was already closed.

However two pictures to show how difficult the terrain was.




On the way back I did manage to make at least one false choice which lead me to a sand/gravel -road but after that everything went totally smoothly.


Back in Smokuč Polja's mom had prepared an awesome dinner. At least one what I remember was fish inside of a flower, ich ess Blumen!




No comments: