Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

D-Day +8: From Heidelberg to Berikon (via Freiburg)

Even though day before I had much fun, it was again time to load up the bike and start the journey towards Switzerland. Quick tank fill up... well, was supposed to be until some Italian came to ask some questions about Finland. Then off to autobahn again!

... and it started to rain and I had to stop to a gas station. I waited for a while to the rain to stop. In the end I got tired of rain so when the worst was over I just put over my rain stuff and started driving. Luckily it didn't rain that much after that and later I had to make a new stop to take the rain gear off.

Finally I arrived in Freiburg and after some time of being lost I managed to find a place for the bike.









It was raining lightly all the time but since it started to get late, I had no other choice than to pack up and continue my ride. This is the part where Garmin did some really interesting decisions and took me through the southern Schwartzwald instead of the autobahns. At some point I found myself in the middle of a forest in a road where two cars could hardly pass without cell reception, no visible lights visible, gas running low and the navigator running out of battery. Nevertheless the Garmin found me the closest gas station and eventually took me to the destination. So again one lesson learned: always plan the route first with a paper map or with Google maps.

View Larger Map

The end was already pretty interesting!

No comments: