Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

D-Day +3: From Hamburg to Göttingen

All fun must stop at some point. As I needed to say goodbye to Hamburg. I packed my stuff and started my journey sometime after 1 pm. Gave Juliane a hug, went and filled my tank and then found myself on the autobahn towards Göttingen.

Everything went smoothly for around 50 km until the traffic started to slow down and finally came to a total stop. I talked for a moment with two Germans. Another one told that the problem was a crash and the another one told it was a forest fire. I moment later the traffic started moving again but came to a stop a bit later. After this I started to drive between the cars until I got to a resting place.



It was around +34ºC so I took off the driving stuff and decided to take it easy. I also met a Finnish couple (from Kuopio!) who were also driving around with a motorcycle. Later the red cross came to distribute something to drink so I went and fetch some and same time I asked if they had any estimate how long it can last. The guy told that it could take up to 10 hours and that it's best just to stay here and relax. I didn't want to spend 10 hours there so I put on my driving stuff and started driving again between the cars.

After 6 slow and sweaty km's I finally got out from the autobahn around Behringer and started following signs towards Hannover. For a moment I though I was clear until the road was blocked again in the middle of the forest. So I took a turn back and drove to the other side of the autobahn. Continued south until I found myself in Soltau. After Soltau I noticed that the exit towards A7 was open so I managed to get back to the autobahn towards the G-city.

Before Göttingen I made only one stop to a gas station a bit after Hannover. At this point it was already getting quite dark and must say that driving 120-140 km/h on a dark road with all this traffic was quite an experience. I finally arrived in Göttingen sometime after midnight.

Jennylein & Mr. T had prepared something to eat and I was quite happy to get shower. Also a bottle of Flensburger helped.

So again to sum the day:

No comments: